A few Tuesday memes #2

December 16, 2014

So I kind of think Tuesdays are for unfortunate stories about my life and book memes.

Last week, I had to drive to a school for work. It's located an hour away from my lab, and I had to prepare a bunch of paperwork (we plan to work with kids in the school, so we have to send consent forms home to parents in advance to see how many children will be able to participate) and get the principal to sign an agreement form. I get this all prepared (340 packets!) and drive on over, buzz in, and say I'm there to see Principal A. I get inside, confidently introduce myself, and one of the office staff members says, "Oh. You're looking for Principal A? That's at School A. We're School B, and this is our principal, Principal B."

Cue me standing there, flustered and confused, possibly with coffee all over my coat (I'd spilled it on the drive over and had forgotten to clean up), and trying to work out how I'd made this mistake. I quickly apologized for wasting their time and fled the office. Pretty sure I heard one of the office staff say, "Oh my god," as I left. Yeah, same, lady.

How did this happen? Well, both School A and School B are located in the same town, and I happened to be in talks with both of them about scheduling visits. School B had yet to get back to me, but School A was eager to participate. Somehow, I got it in my head that School B was the one that had gotten back to me. So there I was, only ten minutes down the street from School A, but with completely wrong paperwork. 340 packets' worth.

So I drove the hour back to work and proceeded to spend the rest of the workday dismantling and rebuilding packets with the correct information. All 340 of them. (Did I mention how many packets there were?)

Oh well. I hadn't driven in a while, so at least I got some practice in, right? And now I know exactly how to get to School A! Silver linings.

OK, enough ranting from me. Have some book memes!

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
My teaser this week is from Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler:
"That's what it's like outside. If you got a gun, you're somebody. If you don't, you're shit. And a lot of people out there don't have guns."
Eek. Sounds like things are pretty out of control in 2025, the year this book takes place. I hope Butler wasn't accurate in her premonitions of what's to come.

I was gonna do Top Ten Tuesday as well, but I'd basically be reiterating my list from last week (which you should check out!), just focusing on the books rather than the authors. So let's try out First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday from Bibliophile by the Sea. Because I've already got it handy, let's use Parable of the Sower.
All that you touch You Change. All that you Change Changes you. The only lasting truth Is Change. God Is Change. —Earthseed: The Books of the Living
Saturday, July 20, 2024
I had my recurring dream last night. I guess I should have expected it. It comes to me when I struggle—when I twist on my own personal hook and try to pretend that nothing unusual is happening. It comes to meet when I try to be my father's daughter.
Today is our birthday—my fifteenth and my father's fifty-fifth. Tomorrow, I'll try to please him—him and the community and God. So last night, I dreamed a reminder that it's all a lie. I think I need to write about the dream because this particular lie bothers me so much.
OK, between the teaser and this opener, how can you not check this one out?

Happy Tuesday to everyone! I'll try to make sure next Tuesday is heavier on the books, lighter on the personal tragedy. :)

Link up any memes you take part in in the comments!

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. Sorry things went so wrong:)
    That teaser is intriguing. What could be happening for such violence outside.
    Here's my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/12/16/teaser-tuesdays-92-dependent/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found your way. ^_^ Thanks for sharing.
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT ~ Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit! I couldn't log in on your site for some reason, but your teasers today sound like a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy your read! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh dear what a crazy mix-up for you. I am intrigued by your teaser/intro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! A nice, relaxing weekend helped me feel better about it. :)

      I can't wait to read more myself.

      Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  4. I am definitely intrigued...and I liked your story about Principal A and School B...LOL.

    Here's mine: “A FIREPROOF HOME FOR THE BRIDE”

    ReplyDelete
  5. The teaser sounds to me like it is from the Old West, not 2025. I'm not sure this one would be for me. I'm sorry about your school mix up! Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, right? You'd think we'd have progressed a little more by then (particularly because Butler was writing it in the late '80s/early '90s...

      And thanks! I'm glad someone else can get a kick out of my misadventures. :)

      Delete
  6. Your School A versus School B mixup sounds like the kind of thing that would happen to me! Sorry you had such a hassle.
    The opening of Parable of the Sower definitely grabbed me and so did your Teaser. I'd read more.
    My Tuesday post features FAT CHANCE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your outcome response to the confusion ;) well said...
    crazy sounding TT and story - I'm intrigued.
    Mine's the new release from Of Love and War WWI series HOPE RISING

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending a big hug your way. I can see that happening to me, unfortunately. At least now you can laugh about it?

    I've been wanting to read something by Octavia E. Butler for years now. I'm not sure why I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I do feel much better about it now that it's been a few days, but what a rough way to start Friday.

      From what I've read so far, I'd definitely recommend her! Are you a sci-fi fan?

      Delete
  9. What a bad day for you, the story sounds like a comedy of errors, but sure it wasn't funny for you.

    As for the intro, not sure that this would work for me...maybe I would need to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not funny at the time, but definitely funny now that I'm removed from it enough to write a blog post. :)

      Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  10. I'm so sorry you had such a bad day! I love driving, so hopefully you at least enjoyed the trip.
    That teaser is really intriguing. I hadn't heard of this book, but I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I used to really, really dislike driving (mostly because I didn't have a lot of practice), but my job has helped me get over my fear and come to not mind the long trips, particularly if I have good music/podcasts. :)

      This is my first Butler—I'll be sure to post a review when I'm through!

      Delete
  11. That sounds like one hell of a day! I'm not a big fan of driving either but luckily for me I live on a small island so don't ever have far to go! I like your teaser but don't think I'd like living at that time.

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, lucky you! I'm getting better about it, but it's often more stress than I want in my day. ;)

      Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  12. Ahh, a comedy of errors at its finest, huh? I hope the rest of your day went well, at least!

    Sounds like quite an interesting book. The teaser reminds me a little of Snowcrash, which is a quirky, dystopian novel by Neil Stephenson.

    Thanks for dropping by my TT, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did, thanks! These things happen—I just prefer when they don't. :D

      Ooh, Snow Crash! It's on my TBR, and I happen to have a copy I borrowed from a friend at home. I'm considering bringing it with me over Christmas vacation!

      And of course, thanks for coming by mine! :)

      Delete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe