Happy Holidays: A Sarasota Bookstore Adventure

December 27, 2014

During the week, I persuaded my parents and boyfriend to help me find an independent bookstore in Sarasota, FL. Because, really, what would a vacation be without a bookish expedition (or four)? After a few queries to Google, we stumbled upon A. Parker's Books & Book Bazaar on Main Street.

The place was small but had loads of charm, including an outdoor patio at the front of the store (because Florida). While it had a decent selection of more contemporary work, the shop seems to deal more in older and rare collections.

I gleefully browsed through their collection of first-edition classics in all their leather-bound, gilt-edged glory before abandoning the $75 Alice in Wonderland for a $3.50 copy of Passage by Connie Willis. I'm not sure how Passage compares to the other work I've read (and adored) by her, but at a rate of a buck per 200-250 pages, I figured it was worth the risk.

Their staff members were very present and eager to chat—one of them directed me to a short story (literally printed and taped to a side of a shelf in the sci-fi section), bubbling over about how it managed to fit every theme and emotion you could want in under 1,000 words. People this excited about stories never fail to make me feel at home, and, I have to admit, it was pretty good.

If you ever find yourself in downtown Sarasota, give this place a shot!

Did you visit (or do you plan to visit) any bookstores over your holiday?

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I didn't know you were in FL. What all were you doing down there, besides finding great bookstores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm originally from here! I was born in the Hollywood area and spent a lot of time in Broward and Miami-Dade counties growing up. My grandparents eventually moved up to Sarasota (if you know anything about FL, you'll understand why), and my boyfriend and I came for the holidays. My folks came to stay for a few days, too. :) It's been nice!

      Delete
    2. Wow. Cool. I didn't know you were originally from there. I'm not from there originally, but spent most of my life there. Lived in Polk County for 22 years. Only moved up here 2.5 years ago. I've been to Sarasota once, spent most my time in Orlando. Don't miss it, except for the parks. Hope you are having a great time!

      Delete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe