Ivanhoe Read-along: Week 2 Recap

December 07, 2014

Source: Wikimedia
We're now two weeks and 190 pages into The Reading Wench's Ivanhoe read-a-long (guidelines/schedule at the link). You can read the Week 1 recap here.

  • Mon. 24th Nov. – Sun. 30th Nov.: Chapters 1 – 7
  • Mon. 1st Dec. – Sun. 7th Dec.: Chapters 8 – 16
  • Mon. 8th Dec. – Sun. 14th Dec.: Chapters 17 – 25
  • Mon. 15th Dec. – Sun. 21st Dec.: Chapters 26 – 31
  • Mon. 22nd Dec. – Sun. 28th Dec.: Chapters 32 – 38
  • Mon. 29th Dec. – Sun. 4th Jan.: Chapters 39 – 44
This week in Ivanhoe: power! Greed! Bloodshed! And... super secret twists! SPOILER: The Disinherited Knight who totally destroys everyone else at the tournament is actually our title character. Who'd-a thunk it? Well, me — this is the detail I spoiled for myself doing research last week. Still, I think it was a very well done reveal!

Unfortunately, I feel I can't provide much of a real recap or my reactions to it without blotting out the whole post in spoiler tags. I was surprised to learn that medieval tournaments did not involve nearly as much death as I expected. The knights seemed pretty polite about the whole thing, generally electing to duel with mock swords rather than the real thing. Even when Gurth is mugged by bandits looking to steal Ivanhoe's gold, they gave him a chance to fight his way out of it. Chivalry, right?

Finally, I must have had a very deprived childhood, but I know nearly nothing of the original story of Robin Hood. It's embarrassing to admit, but I didn't even catch the references within the text. A footnote had to inform me. Derp. Wikipedia helped me catch up, and I'm excited to see how the legend plays out in the context of Ivanhoe. 

For other RALers, what did you make of the twist? Did you see it coming?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe