The 2015 TBR Pile Challenge!

December 01, 2014

I'm about a week late on this one, but I'm pleased to announce that I'll be taking part in the 2015 TBR Pile Challenge, hosted by Roof Beam Reader!

The goal of this challenge is simple: read 12 books on your TBR list in 12 months (January-December 2015). The rules are a bit more specific—be sure to click the link to the challenge above for the official guidelines!

One great aspect of the challenge is that it allows crossovers from other challenges. Some of the books on my TBR list will also count toward my Classics Club list. Two birds, one stone, etc.

Without further ado, here's my list:

1. A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess (1962) (completed 2/11/15)

2. Walden, Henry David Thoreau (1854)

3. Doctor Zhivago, Boris Pasternak (1957)

4. Doubt, A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson, Jennifer Michael Hecht (2003)

5. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Philip K. Dick (1968) (completed 3/14/15)

6. How to Live: A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer, Sarah Bakewell (2010)

7. Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis (1901)

8. A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson (2003) (completed 4/30/15)

9. Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison (1952)

10. Pathologies of Power: Health, Human Rights and the New War on the Poor, Paul Farmer (2003)

11. The Forever War, Joe Haldeman (1974)

12. The Sirens of Titan, Kurt Vonnegut (1959) (completed 1/10/15)

My two alternates (in case any of the above devolve into me banging my head against a wall):

1.  Dubliners, James Joyce (1914)

2. Les Misérables, Victor Hugo (1862)

... Hmm. My alternates may be more likely to cause roadblocks than any books on my main list. Guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Happy reading, everyone! Anyone else joining up on this challenge?

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Great list! I almost put Les Mis on my main list, but it is just so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beast of a novel! Like I said, it might be tougher than any of the books on my main list. :)

      Delete
  2. Just saw that you're doing this challenge too on the link up! Great list. A Clockwork Orange is one of my favorites ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list, have read #1, #5 and #12 from your list, excellent reads all. Don't you think your list is a touch too heavy on Sci-Fi / Dystopia though?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't say so - 2/10, unless you count A Clockwork Orange as well. The rest is a mix of classics and varied nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and Sirens. Still, I think there's good variety here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It wasn't a criticism of the list, just an observation. There wouldn't have been anything wrong with this list even if it were 100% Sci-Fi/Dystopian, given the quality of books in your list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apologies if I seemed defensive! Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are most welcome :)
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe