A few Tuesday memes, #6

February 03, 2015

Happy Tuesday, everyone! How'd my American readers enjoy the Superbowl? Pizza and the latter third of the Wool Omnibus kept me company throughout, but I definitely paused for the anthropomorphic beach balls. Also, Missy Elliott? Fifth-grade Shaina was thrilled.

I hope all of you live in places that weren't graced with a visit from Winter Storm Linus (or, if you do, that you managed to stay cozy). I got a few eyefuls of freezing rain and a thorough leg workout during my walk to work yesterday. I pity the very few other people braving the weather who had to listen to me grumble.

Memes!

As usual, we'll start off with Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and Bookish. Today's theme: ten books I can't believe I haven't read from my genre of choice. Classics, I choose you! (More fifth-grade references.)



(click the covers to go to each book's Goodreads page)

The Diary of a Young Girl, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Brave New World, A Clockwork Orange, Romeo and Juliet, The Grapes of Wrath, The Old Man and the Sea, A Tale of Two Cities

I feel like half of these are books I was supposed to read and cry/swoon over in my teens, and I (and my English teachers, apparently) completely bypassed them. I can't wait to finally get to them and channel all that adolescent angst.

And we'll close with First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. Today I'm spotlighting The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which I started on Saturday.
First the colors. 
Then the humans. 
That's usually how I see things. 
Or at least, how I try. 
HERE IS A SMALL FACT. 
You are going to die. 
I am in all truthfulness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing me, no matter my protestations. Please, trust me. I most definitely can be cheerful. I can be amiable. Agreeable. Affable. And that's only the A's. Just don't ask me to be nice. Nice has nothing to do with me.
This one's got a compelling storyline, an unusual format, and a witty, morbid narrator. So far, so good.

Got an intro? Ten books you can't believe you haven't read already? Link me up!

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. I loved several of the classics you selected and have had The Book Thief on my shelf for years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read The Book Thief, but I thought the movie version was well done.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/02/first-chapter-first-paragraph-92.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't even seen the movie...but I've been curious. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “WHAT I REMEMBER MOST”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised you never read The Diary of a Young Girl. I feel like that was a requirement in every school. Great book though, and you should totally read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Brave New World & The Old Man and The Sea so we have something in common. Here are my Tuesday memes: https://leonahenry.wordpress.com/2015/02/03/top-ten-tuesday-10-popular-books-im-yet-to-read/ I really start to get addicted to this Top 10 Tuesdays thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read all of these, but several. The Anne Frank book is just wonderful. And you should read about Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. And Jane and Mr. Rochester. And Romeo and his Juliet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read some of the classics you have yet to get to (there's still time), but many others, not yet. I am still on the fence about whether I want to read A Clockwork Orange. I own a copy, but haven't been motivated to give it a try. Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice are two of my all-time favorite books.

    I hope you like The Book Thief. I thought it was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried SO HARD to read A Clockwork Orange, but it's actually quite difficult. That was a long time ago though, so I definitely want to try again.
    Stefani @ Caught Read Handed

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore The Book Thief so it is good to see you featuring that in your TT. Some of those classics are excellent although I found Anne Frank heart-breaking, I've read it numerous times over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd forgotten exactly how this book opened! I read it quite a while ago and enjoyed it.
    My Tuesday post features SIX STRINGS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd forgotten exactly how this book opened! I read it quite a while ago and enjoyed it.
    My Tuesday post features SIX STRINGS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should get on that top ten, I enjoyed most of those books--and the Book Thief is bound to be a modern classic. I loved it. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to read a couple of these books too LOL!! Here is my Top Ten Tuesday if you wanna check it out :) http://bookbabble.weebly.com/blog/top-ten-tuesday1

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I certainly think that intro, begs the reader to keep reading. great pick

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, some on your list are absolute faves of mine: Jane Eyre, Brave New World, Grapes of Wrath, The Old Man and the Sea...

    ReplyDelete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe