Who's this Shaina person, anyway?

November 01, 2014

Hi! My name is Shaina, and I really like to read.

For as long as I can remember, I've always had my nose buried in a book. (Perhaps minus a few years in college in which I just wanted to stop. reading. things., but I blame academic journals for that one.) Somewhere along the way, I realized that I often couldn't remember the books I read. That made me sad. Isn't the point of reading to take something away from the story? Was I really just moving my eyes across the words, letting them skitter off the glassy surface of my brain? So, I decided to change that.

This blog is mostly a place for me to reflect on what I read. I don't just want to "have read." I want to remember what I read: why I liked it, why I didn't, the parts that made me laugh, or cry, or think. I want to be able to look at my reviews, or the quotes I noted, and be brought back to who, where, what I was, and why I thought this or that in particular mattered. I want to be able to see a book on a shelf and think, "Oh wow, that was great/terrible/funny/not my cup of tea," instead of just, "Hmm, I think I read that once. Maybe."

Another thing: I think other people who read are super cool. Through my first read-a-thon in October 2014 and subsequent reading challenges, I discovered the joys of being a social reader. Sure, I still like to curl up alone (okay, fine, with my cat) and lose myself in a book, but it's so exciting to know there are people out there, a click away, whom I can talk to about it! And who would be happy to talk to me about it!

In summary, I offer this photograph. Old as it is, I think this photo perfectly captures the person I still am today: a voracious reader with a curly mane and a larger-than-average silly side. (I'm still trying to figure out how to work the toilet into all this.)

Happy reading!


You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Well...third time's the charm. I tried to post a comment on here earlier, but couldn't figure out why it kept eating my post. Apparently hitting enter is frowned upon by Blogger if you need to put in a verification code. So...if you wind up with 3 copies of this comment, I apologize.

    Congratulations on starting a blog! I'm so glad you decided to put one together. You and I seem to be a lot alike. I really like the reason you decided to start blogging. I have a reading journal that I started last year for the same reason, but I need to do better at writing more specifics about the plots in addition to my opinions. Otherwise, the books all start blurring together. I look forward to getting to know you better and reading more of what you have to say about books. Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack, sorry Blogger ate two of your comments. :(

      I definitely understand books blurring into each other. Sometimes it isn't so bad—it just means that a lot of what you're reading has similar themes and things to say—but it's rough when you can't remember any defining details about a story!

      Thanks so much for the welcome, looking forward to where this journey takes me and the people I'll get to know along the way!

      Delete
  2. Solid baby pic. ANYWAY, I just nominated you for the Sisterhood of the something something blogging something award! So basically you're forced into answering questions I made up that make increasingly less sense. If you want to. Stay cool. HAKAS. http://outlandishlit.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award: http://thereadingwench.com/2015/02/21/the-liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tag! You're It: http://thereadingwench.com/2015/02/22/sundays-sundries-20-things-you-didnt-know-about-me/

    ReplyDelete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe