Beat Your Best Read-a-thon Mid-Challenge Update

November 18, 2014

So we're about halfway through the Beat Your Best Read-a-thon, hosted by Karsyn of KaKiJoKoJa. As you might recall, I had two goals this challenge: 1) close out the LotR trilogy by finally reading The Return of the King, and 2) read a record-breaking three books per week.

As it turns out, I've actually made much more progress with my lower-priority goal than the one that inspired me to join this RAT in the first place. Starting at the 15% point, I picked up and finished White Teeth by Zadie Smith, and I'm currently mulling over what comes next (technically, the third of my three-book goal, counting TRotK). Contenders include A Separate Peace by John Knowles, as much for its shortness as anything else, but I'm thinking of saving it for when I finally(!) join up with The Classics Club. I'm also considering To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis, after reading Doomsday Book last month and loving every minute of it.

And that primary goal? Ehh... Maybe it's because I'm so far removed from Tolkien's storyline that it's hard to jump back in, but I've made it a shameful 36 pages into the third installment. I know that, if I stopped salivating over the rest of my TBR list, I could knock this one out right quick, but I'm just not feeling inspired. I suppose this is the point of "beating your best," isn't it?

In summary:

Books read this challenge: 1 (not counting the first 63 pages)
Pages read this challenge: 421

Wrap-up to come on Friday evening, before I jet-set off to the West coast for my (blessedly week-long) Thanksgiving vacation!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe