The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Or: Books in Video Games? I Can Dig It.

January 26, 2015

Hi, all! How are you doing? Tell me, because I really don't know—I've been more than a bit awful at keeping up with my Feedly over the last week or two, and my posting has followed suit. (I did, however, meet my goal of posting three times last week! Yay!)

Fear not, dear follower—I have been reading, but at a much slower pace than usual. I've been getting back into other hobbies, which brings me to today's topic: video games! I have always been a casual gamer, though the ungodly number of hours I've logged in Team Fortress 2 might make you think otherwise. I tend to enjoy games with more of a story (who'da thunk it?) than straight-up FPS, and so when I remembered I had a gift copy of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in my Steam library, I immediately downloaded it. As I launched it for the first time, I suddenly knew where many, many of my winter hours would be spent. (I mean, I gotta spend my blizzard hours somehow, right?)

I first played the game about three years ago when it first came out, back when I had to borrow my boyfriend's gaming computer instead of enjoying my own. I was much more concerned at the time with completing quests, earning gold, and wrecking some dragons. This time around, I'm immersing myself more in the lore of Tamriel. Having never played the first four Elder Scrolls games, I have plenty of catching up to do!

There are loads of books you can interact with in the game, and more than a few are very-short-story-length (and some even longer). I've only just begun a new play-through, but I've already read a legend of a prince rooting out his double-crossing aides, a super punny erotica, and a bit of wartime history. Many of the books within the game come in multiple volumes, and sometimes you find the second volume before the first. Needless to say, I'm excited to hunt down as many of them as I can. (And, you know, wreck some dragons.)

Where are some unexpected places that you find stories?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. That sounds like tons of fun. I might have to go check it out too - I'm a casual gamer as well, I love that there are stories in this. I go through all the nonsense in Pottermore just to seek out the writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, let me know if you do! I will say that Skyrim is a bit more of an investment than Pottermore at $20, but it's a whole lot of fun if you want to do some adventuring with your reading.

      Delete
  2. How are all of your interests my interests? I love that Skyrim has books, but I definitely haven't read them too closely.

    This isn't super related, but over the summer I teach video game design kind of classes to kids in week long "summer camps." I was doing a minecraft class (yes, parents pay for that) and I was basically a huge dictator and told all the kids to build me a castle and a shrine and shit. My favorite kid added books and had me read through them and they were just like "Juliane is awsume!!1!" and stuff oh my god it was so cute.

    See, books in video games. That was related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh my god that is adorable. Also, I love that you got to teach a class about Minecraft. I would have taken it—I work with kids, and they always want to talk to me about it, and I just have to smile and nod.

      Delete
  3. I love Skyrim! I also miss it, and gaming in general. Between school and keeping up with my blog/reading all.the.books, I haven't had time for more than a quick round of Heroes Charge or Doctor Who Legacy on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fantastic? There's just so much to explore! I hope you find some more time to indulge soon. :)

      Delete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe