Bout of Books: Day 1 Post & Book Scavenger Hunt!

January 05, 2015

Bout of Books
It's two hours until the end of the first day of Bout of Books 12, and I have very little reading to show for it. Oops.

Between getting back into the swing of work after a long holiday, getting three vials of blood drawn at the doctor (a big deal for me, because needles are the worst), and doing all the normal domestic stuff with my boyfriend (and, OK, playing an hour of video games), there just wasn't a lot of time left over for reading. In keeping with my crusade to be kinder to myself, I'm going to shrug (or perhaps shake) it off. At least I made it to the first BoB Twitter chat today and gave my new account a workout! (That links to my Twitter page, if you want to follow me. Hint, hint.)

I'm planning on devoting the last hour or so of my evening to really digging in to The Glass Magician, the second in the Paper Magician trilogy by Charlie N. Holmberg. The series is a stark departure from what I usually read, but I'm flying through it. I guess my brain needed a break from all the heavy things I tend to feed it.

Before I escape into my book, I wanted to throw my hat in the ring of today's Book Scavenger Hunt, hosted by the lovely Stefani of Caught Read Handed.

Check out my artsy goofy photo!


1. Find an author with the same initials as you. Failed. I blame the world not having enough S.C. writers.

2. Find a book with the color yellow on it. Passed! Hyperbole and a Half, by Allie Brosh. I've only read half of this one, but it's adorable and fantastic.

3. Find an author's name with the letter "S" in it. Passed! Passage, by Connie Willis.

4. Find a book with a female protagonist. Passed! The Paper Magician, by Charlie N. Holmberg. Oh, Ceony, you silly yet strong little lady. I can't help but love you.

5. Find the longest book you own. Passed! Les Misérables, by Victor Hugo. What a brick.

6. Find a book with a map in it or on it. Passed! The Gods of Gotham, by Lyndsay Faye. This one has an old-timey map of New York City in it.

7. Find a book with a face on it (photograph or illustrated). Passed! The Complete Works, by Michel de Montaigne. Check out that skeptical, mustachioed mug.

Bonus: Find something on your shelf that isn't a book. Passed! This is a wicked complicated Moravian star a very old friend made for me. Many of the points are beat up after moving... at least five times? Possibly more, but it's too pretty and meaningful for me to toss.

This was a quick, fun hunt to take myself on this morning before work! Thanks so much for hosting it, Stefani. I hope you accept Kindle as well as physical shelves. :)

And speaking of Kindles, I GOT ONE! As much as I love my piles of dead trees, this little device is the bee's knees. (Bonus rhyme!)

Happy BoB, all!

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Love your little set up, Shaina! What about Stephen Chbosky for your initials? He wrote The Perks of Being a Wallflower. :)
    Stefani @ Caught Read Handed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! Some may call it avant-garde, but I call it "crud, how the heck do I set these books up?" ;)

      Ooh, good choice! I was assuming we had to stick with books we already had, so I didn't even think of that one. I've actually never read Perks - can you believe that?

      Happy BoB Day 2!

      Delete
  2. Extra points for precarious alignment of books.

    Les Mis has always looked terrifying to me. How many pages is that??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to live dangerously.

      And oh my, I'd have to check my copy when I get home, but Goodreads says it's in the neighborhood of 1400 pages. I will conquer it one day!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Shake it Off!! Definitely great words to live by!! I added you to Twitter, but I really really hate Twitter. If you can't tell (ha!) I like to ramble, so I find Twitter useless. I check in there maybe once a week during stuff going on (like BoB) but usually it's maybe once a month. But I added ya. :) CONGRATS on the Kindle. I've had mine since late 2010 (I think it was, might have been 2011) and I ADORE it. I started out with a Kindle Keyboard, but now I have an older (2nd Gen) Kindle Fire. It doesn't have a camera or anything, but it works for what I need it for ~ reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment definitely inspired me to put the song on for a spontaneous dance party in my office. ;)

      Thanks for the Twitter add! I agree that the character limit can be frustrating, but it's been so much fun for BoB and just another way to get my blog out there!

      And yup, that's exactly what I got mine for, too! I was debating whether I wanted more of a functional tablet, but then I realized that all I really wanted was a great device to read on, and the Kindle Voyage is just that.

      Delete
    2. PS ~ I couldn't find any physical books with my authors initials either, but found some ebooks. Authors I've read with your initials ~ Stella Cameron, Sierra Cartwright, Susanna Clarke, and of course Suzanne Collins. :)

      Delete
    3. LOL. Awesome about the dance party. Now I gotta listen to it. :D I hope you love your Voyage. I haven't read a "real" book in years. It's all on my Fire. I love that I can have tons and tons of books at my fingertips and it weighs less than a hardcover. :)

      Delete
    4. Thanks for all the S.C. authors! I was going solely on my physical bookshelves for the hunt, and shamefully I don't own any. :)

      And agreed on the Kindle's portability!

      Delete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe