Weekend Cooking: Perfect Blueberry Muffins

May 17, 2015


Happy Sunday! Today I've got something decidedly unbookish for you to close out the weekend.

The past two days have been blissfully chilled-out, which is exactly what I needed after playing host to family last weekend and working a ten-hour Sunday the weekend before. Oh, and two bouts of illness. (OK, whining quota met.) I read, I played video games, I coded, and, tonight, I whipped up a beautiful batch of blueberry muffins.


One of my favorite hobbies besides reading is being in the kitchen, and I especially love to bake. I even had an extremely short-lived cooking blog in college. (Is anyone else noticing a pattern in my blog names here?) I don't bake nearly as often these days. In addition to being busier (you know, reading, gaming, and coding), my stomach has developed this annoying habit wherein it doesn't want me to constantly feed it sugar. What's up with that?

Anyway, these muffins are not only gorgeous but also delicious and super simple to make. I'm including the recipe below, but, honestly, you should check it out on the Smitten Kitchen website. Deb Perelman is my food goddess—I've never made a recipe of hers I didn't like—and she's a fantastic writer to boot.

Perfect Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen, adapted from Cook's Illustrated
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (I used full-fat Greek)
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I swapped half for whole wheat)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (frozen don't have to be defrosted)

The recipe yields between 8 and 10 muffins.

Preheat your oven to 375F. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy. Beat in egg, then lemon zest and yogurt. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a sifter and sift half of the dry ingredients over the wet. Stir until combined. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently fold in your blueberries. Fill your muffin tins 3/4 of the way (or make giant muffins, like I did) and bake until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean. This took 20 minutes for me, but SK recommends 25-30.

Weekend Cooking is a weekly feature hosted over at Beth Fish Reads, and this is my first time linking up for it. Go check out her blog for more information and to see all the other delicacies whipped up by bloggers this weekend!

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. These look delicious! I am a TERRIBLE baker, but luckily can cook, and my husband can bake, so I'll be sure to give him this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, do! If he's ever looking for new recipes, definitely steer him toward Smitten Kitchen. I really can't sing the blog's praises enough.


    And thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love Smitten Kitchen. And these muffins are but one example. And hummmm, I just bought blueberries yesterday. And full-fat Greek yogurt. I may have to bake,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow Smitten Kitten too, those muffins sound delicious

    Happy Cooking
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. JoAnn @ Lakeside MusingMay 18, 2015 at 5:26 AM

    I'm also a Smitten Kitchen fan.... they muffins look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade blueberry muffins are so divine! These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love baking too, and I totally agree with you that this recipe and the resulting muffins are awesome. The Smitten Kitchen and the Wednesday Chef are two of my favorite cooking blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES. You will be so happy you did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They really are! Give them a shot sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. See, all the good people love SK. And they were!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't they? Especially with a touch of lemon zest... so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like I said, all the good people love SK.


    I used to follow TONS of cooking blogs, but I've clearly replaced my cooking obsession with a book one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! I usually make blueberry muffins with lemon & poppy seeds, I love the lemon flavor so much. I usually use this recipe: http://joythebaker.com/2012/06/lemon-blueberry-poppy-seed-muffins/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! I usually make blueberry muffins with lemon & poppy seeds, I love the lemon flavor so much. I usually use this recipe:
    http://joythebaker.com/2012/06/lemon-blueberry-poppy-seed-muffins/

    (I just posted this on the wrong thread so I moved it!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joy the Baker! Another of my food goddesses. I'll have to try this recipe out because I love lemon poppy seed muffins. The addition of blueberries sounds like perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to bake as well! Muffins are the best. They're just so comforting - and I especially like blueberry ones. That little pop of fruit when you're eating ... getting hungry. Might have to make some this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe