Bout of Books 12 Sign-up Post!

December 17, 2014

Bout of Books
My first read-a-thon was Dewey's 24-Hour RAT in October of this year. My boyfriend happened to be out of the country on business at the time, and I was on the lookout for something to do that weekend. Browsing one of my bookish subreddits, I saw someone posted about the event and a link for anyone interested in taking part. I signed up, and the rest, as they (I wonder who was the first...) say, is history—I was completely hooked.

Not content to have Dewey's be my only RAT of the year, I asked some of my fellow RATers what other challenges they took part in. Someone mentioned Bout of Books, and I marked on my calendar to check back for the BoB 12 sign-up post. (This, of course, came before the advent of my own blog and my handy Feedly.) And guess what, guys? IT'S FINALLY HERE!
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 5th and runs through Sunday, January 11th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 12 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
I haven't quite figured out my goals for the event yet, as I'll just be coming off a long vacation during which, I hope, I'll have read a whole bunch. Here are some preliminary ones:

1. Read three books during the week. I failed to do this during Karsyn's Beat Your Best RAT last month, and I refuse to admit defeat!

2. Read at least one book from my 2015 TBR Pile Challenge list.

And that's it for now! We'll have to see what happens when the new year comes. Regardless of the goals I meet (or don't), I can't wait to take part. :)

Anyone else taking part in BoB 12? What are your goals for the event? Any tips for a RAT newbie on getting the most out of the event?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I hope you have a fantastic time!! My advice for a newbie ~ there is no fail!! Having fun is what matters most, and you're lucky to have a life that's full that you can't read every second of every day. So if you don't beat your goals, that's ok, as long as you have fun. Otherwise, shorter lighter books are better. Some go with the one book really long approach, and I don't know that I could do that. I prefer shorter ones that are different so I can bounce around depending on what I'm feeling. Also, I don't know if you are into audiobooks, but they are GREAT to listen to when surfing others blogs. I will read for a while then listen while I surf and do challenges. It helps get through more. I'm sure you've seen my lofty goals. :D We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I am on Reddit as well, tho not a whole lot. I haven't seen that subreddit, I go to book suggestions a lot and I've been soaking up all the info at PCMasterRace and all the Build a PC reddits. :)

      Delete
    2. Me again. :) I tried adding you on Steam, I got it all situated there, but it says there's no one with the user name you gave me. :( If you wanna add me, I'm ~ ImzadiRose

      Delete
    3. Ack, oh no! I'll take a look-see when I get home tonight and see if I can't figure it out. Also, my boyfriend and I are planning to buy/play Don't Starve Together, if you'd like to check it out. It's multi-player! :)

      And oh goodness, this is great advice, especially the first bit! I even quoted you in a post that I have scheduled to go up on Saturday. It really is so important to remember that there's more to life than reading goals (though I tend to forget that!) and that the best thing I can do for myself with this blog and these challenges is to have fun.

      I've never tried audiobooks (they remind me of being in the car with my grandma when I was a little girl), but I may just have to! I love listening to podcasts while I get other things done, so your audiobook/blog surfing combo sounds perfect.

      Super excited for the event, and can't wait to chat with you about all the reading we do! :D

      Delete
  2. Yay! Glad you're doing BoB with us! I'm a little late to the party this time...got a little busy with making my bajillion Christmas presents...but I'll be taking part as well. Always better to have extra company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been a busy bee! Glad you'll be joining up. :) I made a Twitter handle almost solely for the promised chats!

      Delete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe