Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Authors I've Read the Most

August 11, 2015

This is just a smattering of the list,
so as not to irk the copyright police.
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

Today's topic—top ten authors I've read the most—got me thinking about how I tend to give many authors a shake but rarely go back to read more by them, for better or for worse. I think this is a fairly recent development, because I used to devour authors' backlists as a kid and young teenager.

For this list, I decided to only consider authors from when I began tracking my reading on Goodreads in 2012. Otherwise, this list would be completely overtaken by Fyodor Dostoevsky (from when I took a course in college), Chuck Palahniuk (from when I was super edgy in high school) and Cecily von Ziegesar (from questionable childhood days).

Amazingly, there are only nine authors from whom I've read more than two books in that time period. I've linked up to any reviews I've shared for them below.

J. R. R. Tolkien (4)

I have an ongoing, on-again-off-again project to read a bunch of books I think I should have read in high school or college (or, as I call it on GR, my 'high-school-college-book-tour'). Tolkien's stories of Middle Earth were on that list, and I finally succeeded in reading them all last year. I've read The Hobbit (6/24/12), The Fellowship of the Ring (5/15/13), The Two Towers (6/13/13), and The Return of the King (11/22/14).

Jeannette Walls (3)

I swallowed up most of her memoir in one sitting in a Barnes & Noble while on spring break (as one does). I didn't love her fiction quite as much, but I continue to be floored by this woman's strength. I've read The Glass Castle (3/27/13), The Silver Star (8/25/13), and Half Broke Horses (9/16/13).

David Foster Wallace (3)

Speaking of being edgy in high school... I don't care how cliché it is; this (sexy, sexy) man's non-fiction makes me, as Liberty Hardy would say, want to swallow my brain out of envy. I've read Consider the Lobster and Other Essays (11/2/12), Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (11/15/12), and Both Flesh and Not: Essays (9/11/13).

Lois Lowry (3)

I couldn't help but get suckered in by her Giver series, though I never finished it out. I've read The Giver (10/15/12), Gathering Blue (11/3/12), and Messenger (11/8/12).

Philip K. Dick (3)

The heaviest of sci-fi heavyweights. So many more to get to! I've read A Scanner Darkly (3/13/12), Mary and the Giant (5/25/14), and Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (4/14/15).

Joan Didion (3)

What's there to say? She's Didion: biting, devastating and unafraid. I've read The Year of Magical Thinking (3/15/12), Blue Nights (9/20/12), and Play It As It Lays (8/29/14).

Kurt Vonnegut (3)

Another writer for whom there aren't words. He's iconic and always will be. I've read Breakfast of Champions (7/7/12), Mother Night (8/12), and The Sirens of Titan (1/10/15). I also read Slaughterhouse Five in high school.

Jeff VanderMeer (2.33)

I loved the start of his Southern Reach trilogy but ultimately couldn't make it through to the end. I've read Annihilation (2/7/15), Authority (3/7/15), and abandoned Acceptance a third of the way through.

Shirley Jackson (2.1)

Shirley helped me fall in love with horror last year. She gets an extra .1 because the short story I read is, like, half a second long. I've read The Lottery (9/20/14), We Have Always Lived in the Castle (9/27/14), and The Haunting of Hill House (10/18/14).

Carl Sagan (2)

Sagan's enthusiasm—for space, for teaching and for life—is nothing short of infectious, and I'll absolutely be reading more of his work. If you haven't watched the original Cosmos, go fix that travesty. Also, he had the best eyebrows in the universe. I've read Billions & Billions: Thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium (3/24/12) and Contact (4/12/12).

How about you? Which authors have you read most? Have you read any of mine?

You Might Also Like

1 comments

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe