Weekend Cooking: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies (That Are Practically Brownies)

August 09, 2015

Weekend Cooking is a weekly meme hosted over at Beth Fish Reads. Go check it out to see what else the blogosphere cooked up this week!

Happy Sunday, everyone!

About a week ago, I mentioned that my boyfriend would be going out of the country on a business trip soon. He left in the middle of the night on Wednesday, and I've been enjoying playing single lady ever since. (Read: dinners with friends, quiet nights in, and one particularly binge-y evening of Friday Night Lights. I blame these four.)

Before he left, I asked him what he'd like to be sent off with. At first he wanted brownies, but then he said that chocolate cookies might be easier to transport. Lucky for him, the chocolate chocolate chip cookies I picked out ended up being the gooiest, most pillowy treats ever. He only left four for me to snack on, which was probably for the best. I wonder how many are still hanging around with his team in Honduras.

A photo posted by Shaina (@shainareadsbooks) on

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Allrecipes

The original recipe yields 48 cookies, but I halved it and got somewhere in the neighborhood of 21 using a spring-loaded tablespoon scoop. Halved recipe follows.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg (note: I only had medium eggs and ended up using two, which may have been part of the reason my cookies were so soft and springy, YMMV)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or, you know, however many you feel like dumping in)

Beat together the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract using a hand (or stand) mixer. Combine all dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt) in a separate bowl and mix well. Dump your dry ingredients in with the wet and stir until just combined (I used a spatula and folded them together). Stir in your chocolate chips. My dough looked just this side of batter at this point, but again, extra egg. 

Scoop your dough onto cookie sheets by the tablespoonful. (Note: I have silicon mats, but the original recipe says to scoop them onto ungreased sheets.) Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until just set. (Note: Mine took about 11 to 12.) Cool for a couple of minutes on the cookie sheets to allow them to set, then transfer them to wire racks.

Did you make anything tasty this week?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe