River City Reading's Library Checkout: February 2016

February 29, 2016


Once again, I have library books to talk about despite my #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks commitment. Since my monthly reading has been relatively low so far this year (5-6 books per month), it feels like I'm doing more damage than I probably am. (Well, besides the three ARCs I picked up. And the two books at The Strand. WHATEVER.)

Regardless, the library reading has been good, so let's get to it!

Library Books Read

The Gentrification of the Mind: Witness to a Lost Imagination, by Sarah Schulman — A short but intense recommendation from Cass. Schulman reflects on how the AIDS crisis led to the homogenization of her New York City neighborhood and the art and ideas coming out of the city after the 1980s. Her thoughts inspired me to write a post about "the blogging echo chamber" and whether it actually exists.

A Head Full of Ghosts, by Paul Tremblay - Awesome, gruesome horror that came highly recommended by Julianne, Lauren and Sal. I recommend it as well! It also inspired me to snatch up an ARC of Tremblay's forthcoming Disappearance at Devil's Rock.

Checked Out, To Be Read

Beyond A Head Full of Ghosts, I didn't check out anything new. I still have so many of Cass's nonfiction recommendations to read. I hope I can get through at least one more before they're due back!

I also hope to dig in to some of the fiction below for Julianne's Weirdathon, which starts TOMORROW.

The Working Poor: Invisible in America, by David K. Shipler

The Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America, by Jonathan Kozol

Men Explain Things to Me, by Rebecca Solnit

Delicious Foods, by James Hannaham

The Killing Moon, by N.K. Jemisin (still)

The People in the Trees, by Hanya Yanagihara (still)

Returned Unread

None! Yeehaw.

On Hold

Also none!

Did you live in the library or read your own damned books in February? Or maybe both, like me? Either way, link up over at Shannon's blog

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe