Life Right Now: Let the Birthday Weekend Begin!

July 08, 2016


Hi, guys. In case you hadn't noticed, I have not been blogging. Not a darned word! In fact, I haven't even been reading all that much since July began. Gasp.

Here's a handy-dandy list of what I've been doing instead:

Gamifying my life with Habitica.

Julianne mentioned recently that I turned her on to a habit-tracker RPG app and browser game called Habitica. I am proud to say that I'm now a Level 13 Healer with lots of awesome gear, pets and spellcasting abilities. I got there from committing to things like working out most days per week, drinking more water, commenting regularly on blogs I follow, and so much more. The app is great for encouraging you to build good habits and break bad ones, but it also lets you keep track of tasks you want to complete every day and more infrequent to-do list items.

It's infinitely adaptable, and playing with friends means you're held accountable for getting your shit done (either that, or listen to your party members yell at you when they lose health). I already know Habitica will be a godsend as my boyfriend and I prepare to move across the country next month.

Consuming more media.

An upshot of my recent Habitica frenzy is that I've been listening to many more podcasts, mostly focusing on daily news dispatches from NPR and the BBC.

It seems I've picked a particularly violent time to get back into a listening groove (not that violence doesn't happen every day, but I digress). Since last weekend, it's been all bombings and all shootings, all the time. I don't have anything to say about it that others haven't already said, far better than I ever could, but all of it has been on my mind. 

I've also been listening to NPR's Code Switch, a podcast all about issues related to race and identity that the lovely Jenny turned me on to. I recently downloaded a bunch of episodes of Radiolab's More Perfect, a podcast that explores how Supreme Court decisions directly impact our everyday lives. I hope to give it a whirl soon.

Aging.

I turn 25 tomorrow. Two very good friends from college are coming up from New York to celebrate, and I'll be locking them in a room with some local friends and forcing everyone to problem-solve until we can escape. (I love nothing more than a good puzzle, particularly a puzzle that involves BEING ON A SPACE STATION.) I'm sure there will be further festivities involving food and alcohol, given that we don't end up locked on the space station forever.

I have a very good feeling about my twenty-sixth year. Big changes are coming, changes that will be actively catapulting me toward the life I want and the person I want to be. It's cliché to say it, but I can't remember a time in my life when I've felt so much like I'm on the right path (hence the photo accompanying today's post). It's terrifying, of course—change and I don't always mesh well—but the terror is tempered by healthy doses of anticipation, of eagerness to get started, and of certainty that I'll be able to handle whatever comes. I'll ride the highs, I'll weather the lows, and I'll keep on fighting to milk the most that I can out of this thing called life.

'Til next time, y'all! Have a great weekend! Do something extra fun for my birthday.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe