It's Monday, September 14! What Are You Reading?

September 13, 2015


Wait. Do we really have to work five days this week? I missed that memo.

About where I'm at today.
Anyway, Monday's here, and I hope y'all are coming off some excellent week(end)s to soften that blow. I can't complain about mine; I got a lot done on the Shaina Applies to Grad School* front and even managed to get some relaxation in. Wine, pumpkin beer and this delicious herbed summer squash pasta bake helped. (If you've got zucchini the size of small dogs, I highly recommend that last recipe.)

To the books! Coming off an amazing listen of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, my boyfriend and I watched the film on Saturday (Peril on the Screen: complete!). I have numerous and ambivalent thoughts about both, and I hope to get them into a semi-coherent state sometime this week. I also finished Atwood's The Heart Goes Last yesterday. I'm honestly not sure what to make of it, and I'm glad I have some time to let my thoughts simmer before its publication date. I do think it's going to make for excellent debate fodder over at The Socratic Salon.

Inspired by Trish's enthusiasm, I started listening to the 44-hour monster that is It by Stephen King, narrated by Steven Weber. I might still be listening to it by the time Halloween 2016 rolls around, but Weber's narration is solid, particularly coming off Parker's unforgettable Cuckoo's Nest performance. I plan to truck along with that and start up some new visual/eyeball/optical reads this week. Two strong contenders are Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho (which I didn't end up getting to last week) and Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg, a library hold I did not expect to get my hands on so soon.

*But let's not talk about how I seem to be getting worse at math, rather than better. I haven't been making enough burnt offerings to the GRE quantitative reasoning gods.

What are you guys reading this week?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe