Thrifty Thursdays: The Fantastic Edition

October 22, 2015

Happy Thursday, everyone! It's time for Thrifty Thursdays, a weekly book meme dreamed up by Sal over at Motion Sick Lit. He hasn't been posting lately, but here's hoping he comes back to us soon!

Thrifty Thursdays is designed to get book bloggers hunting for new and/or interesting reads on the cheap. Scoping out your favorite independent bookseller is especially encouraged!

Sal's rules for the feature are as follows:

1. Each week’s link-up will be posted on Thursday. 
2. Post or talk about a book you found used (preferably in a book store or thrift shop). 
3. The book must cost less than $5. 
4. Be sure to return for the link-up! Weird or strange books are preferred.

Remember how I went to that super-cool hippie fair in July? You know, the one I promised I'd post all about and then never did? (Oops.) One of my favorite parts about this fair is the outdoor library. Volunteers construct the space each year and fill it with donated books before Fair opens, and it essentially functions as a Little Free Library for the week or so that the event runs. One of the only ways to get a camping pass for Fair is to work, and I'm desperately trying to get on the team that puts together the library. I mean, look at it:

A photo posted by Shaina (@shainareadsbooks) on

I took home a couple of books this summer, all for the low, low cost of free, and I'm finally getting around to reading one of my picks, Fantastic Voyage by Isaac Asimov. (You might not know this, but old, white, male hippies love their classic sci-fi.)

Based on the screenplay of the same name, Fantastic Voyage tells the story of four scientists who are shrunken down and sent on a journey through the human body; they have to remove a blood clot (with lasers!) before it destroys the one man who has the knowledge to prevent total global annihilation. In sum: it's a pretty big deal. I'm only a few pages in now and can't say if it's worth buying for yourself, but I'll be sure to report back soon. The beauty of books under 200 pages!


Gotten any fabulous reads on the cheap lately? Talk to me!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe