#ReadMyOwnDamnBooks: A 2016 Challenge from Estella's Revenge!

November 29, 2015

Before we get into the books, HI GUYS! I've missed you all so much. 

Since I last posted, I've submitted applications to my top-choice graduate schools and enjoyed a too-short-but-still-wonderful Thanksgiving vacation at home in sunny Florida. Unfortunately, I do still have some application work to get in before the new year, so posting might remain sparse (except, of course, for #12BooksOfChristmas) until 2016. I hope you'll bear with me!


With graduate school (hopefully!) on the horizon, I've been thinking about my personal library and how I may need to move it in the next eight months. Taking a walk around my apartment tonight, I counted no fewer than 50 physical books I would at least like to sample, if not read in their entirety, and I know for a fact that I'm lowballing here. Media mail might be affordable, but I don't know that these are all books I want to spend money to move.

As usual, Andi managed to put my feelings into fewer, more straightforward words than I could: in 2016, she wants to read her own damned books, and I'm going to join her.

My challenge rules:

  • I will read almost exclusively from physical books, e-books and audio books I already own, focusing primarily on physical books.

  • I can visit the library at my leisure, but library books should ideally make up no more than 25% of my monthly reading. Trips to the library keep me sane, and I'm not looking to gamble with my peace of mind. 

  • E-book and audio book sales are kosher, but, with the exception of gifts, I cannot add new physical books to my collection. I will attempt to limit my digital purchases to a one-for-one tradeoff (one book read, one book purchased).
I accept that I may fail at all of these rules. If I can get through even a tiny fraction of my book collection before I have to pack up the rest, I'll consider this project a success.

Heck, I'm already off to a decent start, and it isn't even 2016! Over Thanksgiving weekend, I read Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates (physical) and Animal Liberation by Peter Singer (e-book), both of which I own. I'm excited to see what kind of dent I make during my Twelve Books of Christmas challenge, which you should totally partake in, by the way.

Here's to reading my own damned books! Won't you join me?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe