It's Monday, January 18! What Are You Reading?

January 18, 2016


Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, everyone! Coming off the last of my graduate school applications, I am more grateful than ever for the long weekend.

I didn't read anywhere near 24 hours this weekend, but 24in48 was still a rousing success. I finished the second half of The Longest Night, Andria Williams's heartbreaking debut, and then Nimona went and destroyed what was left of my heart before rebuilding it and making it swell tenfold. I don't know if I'll get around to a proper review of the latter, but I'm calling it: it'll make my best of 2016 list (in keeping with my super backlist-y 2015 picks).

A photo posted by Shaina (@shainareadsbooks) on

I also started Bats of the Republic by Zachary Thomas Dodson, and I'm already completed sucked in. I expected to be entranced by the illustrations and experimental format, but the story has me hooked, too. I can't wait to see where it goes.

And, of course, I made time for my man Ron Chernow and his man, Hamilton. I might not be writing any actual blog posts for #HamAlong, but darn it if I'm not keeping up and tweeting inane things.

This week, I'll be spending plenty of time with Bats and Hamilton and also plan to keep chipping away at my other nonfiction. I've been in the middle of How to Live: A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer by Sarah Bakewell and Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Life and Love from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed for what feels like months. A quick Goodreads check confirms that feeling. Wish me luck!

What are you reading this week?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe