#FlashReadathon: No Rules, Just Read!

June 19, 2015

Before my post today, I wanted to take a moment to talk about the shooting in Charleston on Wednesday night. The victims and their families are in my thoughts, but I want to do more than think about it, even if what I do is small and can in no way erase the atrocity of their murders. In case any of you are interested in contributing, a donation page for the families of the victims is supposed to go live today at noon.


It's finally Friday, and guess what? I have a ridiculous stack of books to read this weekend! My book bingo plans, desire to tackle some chunksters and a buttload of holds all coming in at once conspired against (or for?) me. Shannon and I plan to combine forces and build a book fort. Come join us! I bake awesome cookies.
In the interest of not getting crushed by this literary avalanche, I demanded threw out the idea of having another #flashreadathon. The first one was born last March out of Heather of Capricious Reader's need to make a dent in her reading pile. There were no rules and no set reading times; it was all about reading as much or as little as you like and using the hashtag to check in on other folks doing the same. It was an awesome, low-key way to get some social reading in, so I'm thrilled that we're about to have another! Many thanks to Monika of Lovely Bookshelf for whipping up an updated graphic for the event.

The only set plans I have for this weekend are to go see a (free!) talk by Claudia Rankine at our local art gallery about her use of mixed media to take on race relations. It couldn't be coming at a better time, since I just finished Citizen and have been struggling with how to talk about it. I'll be taking notes to share with you all and picking up my own copy of Citizen today, in case she's in a signing mood.

Other than that, it'll be all reading, all the time. Can you only join in for fifteen minutes? Do it, and hop on Twitter using #flashreadathon. I'd love to see what you're reading this weekend.

Do your weekend plans include taking part in #flashreadathon? Talk to me!

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. SO JEALOUS that you get to see the amazing Claudia Rankine! And I'm so glad you're #flashreadathonning. I'm so in. As you already know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book fort, book fort! Please report back on how amazing Claudia Rankine is, I can't wait to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be a cold rainy weekend where I am, so cuddling up with some books sounds perfect. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I will be reading for #flashreadathon. I just got back from 2.5 weeks in Europe so I have to catch up on life as well this weekend, but books will definitely be part of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for this. I'll be on trains both Sat and Sun finishing a week of travel, so perfect to dive into the (very many) ebooks collected on my nook...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be joining in, starting later this evening. I've got a pile of library books to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lucky to get to see Claudia Rankine - glad you'll be sharing your experiences :) I work this weekend, of course, but will participate as much as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agh, enjoy the Claudia Rankine talk! (And thanks for getting the flash readathon going this weekend!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The #FlashReadathon sounds like fun! I didn't get to read much this weekend, but I'm glad so many others are. And jealous of seeing Claudia Rankine -- Citizen is getting so much deserved attention lately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup...that is a buttload of books. :) I "participated" in the readathon this weekend, but I did horribly. I got some reading done but was completely antisocial. Limited time and all that...I suppose that'll happen now and then. Hope your weekend was reading productive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy that so many of you were able to join in! :)

    ReplyDelete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe