Lit in My Luggage: Summer Vacation Selections

June 30, 2015

Original image from pexels.

I've written before about what makes a good travel read for me, especially when the going gets stressful. I love a short page count and light prose working together to deliver a story that isn't completely devoid of meaty ideas; The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry did the trick for me when I went to a work conference earlier this year and needed a breather between presentations and social events.

However, now that I'm packing my books to jet off somewhere purely for pleasure, my priorities have shifted. While I definitely plan to read over my vacation, I won't be relying on my books as much for stress relief (I hope not, at least!), opening up the possibilities for length, difficulty and topic. Variety and flexibility is the name of this game; I want to be able to move between reads as my whims dictate. And if I chuck the book aside (or, you know, carefully set it aside like a civilized person) to go jump in the lake and don't cast another glance toward it until the plane ride home? So be it!

Without further ado, here's what I've got in my carry-on:


I mentioned this one coming in the mail a few days ago, but I haven't had a chance to really dig in yet, despite the fact that the dust jacket has the most mesmerizing texture (sorry, is my book fetish showing?) and plenty of folks I trust have written reams about it. All I know is that there's a library, what sounds like a creepy cult, and it probably involves a fire. I'm all in.


This one's for the #BlumeAlong! I had a great time reading and tweeting about Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret earlier this month, and I'm excited to embark on a brand-new Blume in July. The Goodreads blurb promises female friendship, lush getaways at Martha's Vineyard, and more than a bit of drama. This isn't a book I'd normally pick up if Blume's name weren't stamped on the cover, but it sounds like perfect reading for lolling about in various locations (sunshine, hammock, tent, etc.).


This one comes along on my Kindle because my Classics Club List is woefully neglected and everyone (ahem, Amanda) has been telling me to read it. I also want to check out Re Jane by Patricia Park (Kerry wrote a great review and got my TBR a-growin'), and I'd like to have the original story under my belt before I tackle a retelling.

Of course, my Kindle houses more than a few other options, if none of these three jives with me.

I've still got time to prowl the library or its ebook collection (so my boyfriend doesn't kill me) before I leave. Anything I should add to my vacation arsenal? 

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. Those are great choices! I loved Re Jane - and Jane Eyre. After you read Jane Eyre though you really have to read the Eyre Affair when you're ready for bizarre. That book is one of my therapeutic rereads. I cannot wait to get the Library at Mount Char in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My copy of The Library at Mount Char is on its way to me as I type this. I cannot wait. It might be one I read immediately. I haven't done that with a non-review book in forever.


    You can never go wrong with Jane Eyre. One of my friends has to read it for school, and I cannot wait to discuss it with her.


    I'll be curious if these three stick with you throughout your trip or if you do indeed chuck them aside for something else. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound like great vacation reads. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure hope so! Like I said, other options will abound, especially since my boyfriend's mom is quite the bookworm herself. No worries if these don't do it for me this time around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, do it! It would be fun to read it around the same time! I probably won't have Internet access for much of my vacation, but I'll be sure to tweet you if I get to it.


    I've heard the same about Jane Eyre from so many people! I tried reading it once when I was very young (probably late elementary or early middle school) but, predictably, didn't finish. I'm excited to try again.


    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, duly noted. Even more incentive to read the original.


    Yay, I hope it gets there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a really good mix! I loved Jane Eyre when I read it in school, but I wonder if my thoughts would change now...and I feel the same about wanting to read Re Jane, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's some good variety, you're sure to find something for any reading mood while on vacation! Have a wonderful time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, thanks for linking my review! I'm super interested to hear your thoughts, and hope it works for you! I can't wait to reread Summer Sisters! I first read it when I was like 12-13ish... so just keep that in mind while you're reading it. It was, ahem, highly educational at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda @ The Zen LeafJuly 2, 2015 at 1:25 PM

    Jane!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, maybe you should check it out again before reading the reboot? It is kind of a page commitment, though...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course! :)


    HAHA. I got quite the education from Wifey and Forever, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I missed out on in Summer Sisters. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. TOUCH TOUCH TOUCH is what I vote for. I just read Touch by Claire North and it was crazy good. Buuuut you have probably already departed so I guess my recommendation comes too late. :p

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I agree with everyone else that you should read Jane Eyre! It's by far my favorite Bronte novel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like fun! Uncertain about TLAMC. It may be too creepy for me, so I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts! Jane is one I definitely need to reread since it's been...oh...let's be kind and say at least 40+ years! :) I read Wifey years ago. It was okay. As always, it will be good to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe