It's Monday, June 15! What Are You Reading?

June 15, 2015

This week's reads: 1, 2, 3
Happy Monday, everyone! This morning's exclamation points and hyperbole is brought to you by an extra-large pot of coffee.

Can I just come out and say that I've felt like a terrible book blogger lately? I know, I know—I'm ridiculous, but hear me out. I haven't written a proper review since the end of May, opting instead to share fascinating facts or giant chunks of text in lieu of extensive commentary or analysis. I've read no fewer than six books so far this month and haven't told you anything about them (save for the aforementioned giant text chunks from Considering Hate). These poor, neglected reads remain un-starred and un-reviewed on Goodreads while I jump headfirst into new and enormous projects; House of Leaves and A Game of Thrones, here's to you, you crazy chunksters. These new and enormous projects are successfully defenestrating any half-coherent thoughts I had about my previous reads as I type. (Did I mention that I drank a lot of coffee this morning?)

All of this is to say that I'm doing a bunch of reading and not a lot of reflecting and reviewing. I knew this would happen, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating, since one of my blog's main purposes is to help me better remember and think about what I read. Here's to working on climbing back on that thoughtful reading and writing horse sooner rather than later. Here's a thoughtful reading and writing horse, because the internet:


Last week, I finished up The Wives of Los Alamos, Considering Hate (my thoughts/text chunks here), Murder on the Orient Express (which I ended up liking far more than And Then There Were None), and Citizen: An American Lyric

This week, I want to finish the forthcoming The Only Woman in the Room; it's been hovering at the halfway point on my Kindle for a couple weeks now, and I want to see how Pollack wraps things up. As I mentioned above, I plan to continue making (tiny, tiny) dents in A Game of Thrones, and, because I don't have enough pages on my plate, I've added House of Leaves into the mix. I've been itching for more horror since reading Bird Box, plus it's Julianne's favorite. How can I go wrong?

Monday, Monday, Monday! Coffee, coffee, coffee! Talk to me, if you dare.

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. It happens to everyone :) I'm trying to claw my way out of a reviewing slump, too. Sometimes you just want to read, and taking time to review just isn't fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely fall behind on the reviews, too, but I've also come to realize there's no real way for me to review everything I read. I've found a good place in sharing the books that I feel need to be shared (either because I loved them or hated them or was confused by them - whatever!) and letting the rest go. I hope you find what works best for you and enjoy your reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to thank House of Leaves for solidifying my relationship with my husband (who was then next door neighbor who I would bug at midnight when I was too scared from reading the book!). And Bad Book Blogger Pish Posh. There's no such thing as long as you're enjoying yourself. I can't even be bothered to write about half of what I read these days...and I'm actually happier for it! Enjoy the books!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's pretty hard to review every single thing you read, so if you skip some... so be it. Also, I have found your recent discussion posts super interesting, and relevant... they may not be a "traditional book review," but I think adds something to the community and conversation in a great way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think any time you share something about a book you read is accomplishing your goal of thoughtful reading because you are pausing to contemplate what you read. Sharing those thoughts in snippets, chunks, one-line reviews, or full-blown exposes is completely up to you, but it all counts. Now, please share more on this horror story of House of Leaves</i<...I do love a good horror.

    ReplyDelete
  6. House of Leaves was a freezer book for me. I seriously questioned my sanity a couple times and I was afraid that weird, bad things were going to start happening to me as a result of reading the book, which I think might have been one of the author's intentions. The story and the craziness involved in it definitely got in my head. I don't suggest reading it at night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right? Ugh, why do we even blog in the first place? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could come to that same realization. For some reason, I have a tough time recognizing that not every book needs a lengthy (or even short) review. I'll try to remember that my impetus for starting the blog doesn't have to be what guides me as I continue writing here.


    I think it's great that you've found that balance—I'll keep working toward it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, your marriage's origin story might be the most adorable (and frightening!) one I've ever heard.


    Haha, thanks for the encouragement! :) I try to tell myself that if I don't feel motivated to write about a book, it's going to show in the review, so I try to focus my energy more on the books that do get the juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh god oh god my apartment is going to EAT ME. Taking this chunkster to the park from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, thanks, Katie! The discussion posts have also been the most engaging for me to write and comment back on—think there's a relationship there? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ack, oh no! Nighttime is prime reading time for me. Maybe I'll save it for the crack of dawn on weekends?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Michelle, that does make me feel a little better. I certainly don't dislike my "review" posts that are less traditional, but I can't help but feel like a slacker when too many come in a row. I'll try to beat myself up less. ;)


    Oh, I definitely plan to, once I make it through the 700+ pages... eek!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are INSANE! House of Leaves and Game of Thrones at the same time. You are seriously crazy lady. I'm impressed with your chutzpah. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you referenced a freezer book! It put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, we all get the Nah, I Don't Want to Review Right Now bug. It'll be okay.


    I am now seriously afraid to read House of Leaves. Will my house attack me?? I am all ashiver. But yay Game of Thrones!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm kind of a nut when it comes to multi-tasking. ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel the same way, but I'm so curious anyway! And Game of Thrones is GREAT, besides the weird 13-year-old sex scenes. That's weird.

    ReplyDelete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe