It's Monday, June 8! What Are You Reading?

June 08, 2015

All images from GR. L-R: 1, 2, 3, 4
It's Monday! is hosted by Sheila over at Book Journey.

Welcome to a new week, friends. After pulling a 10-hour data collection shift on Saturday, today is day two of my weekend; as is appropriate for a makeshift Sunday, I'm writing this from my bed with a sleepy cat on my lap and a mug of coffee in hand. I've got it real hard, let me tell you.

My lab's summer internship is off to a productive start, and I'm just as exhausted and desperate for the sanctuary of my books as I thought I'd be. (Psst... speaking of book sanctuaries, I wrote about them last week.) Last week, I tore through the forthcoming The Beautiful Bureaucrat by Helen Phillips and the backlist Bird Box by Josh Malerman. I enjoyed both of them for their quick pace and suspenseful writing, but neither one's ending left me breathless.

This week, I'm hoping to work through a few books I'm right in the middle of: the academic but fascinating Considering Hate by Kay Whitlock and Michael Bronski; the stifling, simmering The Wives of Los Alamos by TaraShea Nesbit; and The Only Woman in the Room, Eileen Pollack's memoir of her days as one of the lone female physics majors at Yale.

I also want to continue a heck of a journey I started last week with George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. My boyfriend and I decided that the best way to get through the A Song of Ice and Fire cycle would be to read them aloud to each other, and we've had a lot of fun (and some awkwardness—oh hey, graphic sex scenes with 13-year-olds) working through the first hundred pages. Just a billion more to go.

Keeping it short today—I've got bookish bingo squares to tackle!

Happy Monday! What are you reading this week?

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Oh my gosh, I love that you're reading Game of Thrones that way. I hope you both have some serious stamina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... we might be completely bonkers. We'll see how this project goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's where I wish I was right now. In bed with my cat and a book. :-) I think it's great that you and your boyfriend are reading Game of Thrones to each other. My husband and I did that years ago with another book. I do much better when I read on my own, I think. LOL I struggle enough with audio books.


    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested to get to The Beautiful Bureaucrat (man, that's a hard word to spell!) after all the chatter between you and Shannon! Hope your GoT reading continues to be fun, and I just love you guys are doing that. Adorbs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha. You guys reading Game of Thrones out loud is the best. Do you different voices for all the characters?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, but we have taken to calling Ser Jorah Mormont "Ser Friendzone."

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was good! The writing was awesome and engaging, but something about the ending was lacking for me. I'm still thinking it over.


    And thanks! I hope we actually make good on our plan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading GOT aloud to each other? That's hilarious! My husband and I did that with the HP series, but I'm thinking your experience is MUCH different from ours.


    I will be curious to see your review of The Wives of Los Alamos. I started it and liked what I had read but put it aside for something else. The premise is intriguing, but more importantly, the writing was outstanding -- or so I thought after the first few chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eek, this comment slipped through the cracks!


    Yeah, I'd say that GoT is a wee bit different than HP. ;) We've been having a lot of fun with it!


    I'm actually *just* starting to write a review of this one. I ended up being unsure about it at first but by the end really loved it. I hope I can get my thoughts into words soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another comment slipped through the cracks, ack!


    Oddly, I think the fact that it's my boyfriend reading it helps me with focusing. I'm normally the type to mentally drift when I'm listening to an audiobook/podcast, but I don't when we read together. Good thing, too!

    ReplyDelete

SHAINA INSTAGRAMS (MOSTLY HER CAT)

Subscribe